Friday, July 11, 2008

I love pretty shoes, but my feet are rebelling

Lets face it, if you are dressed well but have frumpy or tired shoes it absolutely reduces the impact you were trying to achieve. After years of standing all day in high heels, my feet suddenly feel tired and worn out. Every shoe seems to hurt, and I noticed some rough calluses on the bottom of my feet. Maybe I should get a pedicure? No, that just won’t work for me. Every time I try it I can’t stand all that touching on my feet. I am apparently very ticklish. Now that it is summer and everyone is in sandals or flip flops, I started looking at everyone’s feet. I‘ve been wondering how I can keep my feet from becoming unattractive with corns, bunions and calluses and I have to learn how to keep these poor, little tootsies from hurting.
I decided to consult a podiatrist and get their opinion on prevention and foot care.
I was dreading my visit, afraid that he would hurt me, or worse, tell me I can’t wear my heels anymore. To my surprise it was a delightful experience. First he analyzed my feet and told me the reason my feet were hurting so much is because of my high arch. He suggested foot inserts (orthotics) to support my arch and take pressure of the ball of my foot. He also said I could but the over- the- counter, Super Feet brand at Nordstom’s. They make many inserts including some that are thin to wear with dress shoes.
He then removed the dead skin and buffed my heels with a sanding tool. The result is a soft pliable foot that looks and feels better. He recommended that I apply moisturizer to my feet every night before going to bed (not between the toes).
I went right out and bought New Balance sneakers for walking the dog and various arch supports for my shoes and now these feet feel good as new. I can’t believe that it took all these years to find out that people with a high arch may need some help in caring for their feet. I had only heard about people with flat feet having issues.
Now I smile instead of frown as I don my red patent leather pumps!

No comments: