Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Great Weekend Escape!


Last weekend I escaped to the mountains in Pennsylvania to pamper myself. My girlfriend and I prefer different activities than our husbands, so off we went to indulge ourselves in 24 hours of pure bliss.

We drove to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort which is about 3 hours northwest of Washington. As we climbed into the mountains there were farms covered in snow and we really felt like we were entering a winter wonderland. Arriving just in time for our "Stone" Massage, we slipped into our plush robes and slippers and entered the waiting area. This soothing room was quiet, had tea, cucumber or lemon water, and comfy chairs. It was bathed in sunlight and lots of women, of different ages , sizes and shapes all anticipating their chosen treatment. When my name was called, I followed my masseuse down a corridor to my cozy room. With relaxing music and those experienced hands kneading out all of my knots, I sunk into oblivian. The warm stones seemed to penetrate my soul. When my hours was up I reluctantly flowed to the giant indoor hot tub. With 25 feet of windows I felt like I was on top of the world. The clouds and birds entertained me as I soaked my body, languishing in my relaxed stupor.

With an appointment for an art tour and a wine tasting in the afternoon, we had to shower and dress for the fun plans that would complete the day. Timothy, our art guide
was fun and informative. With a 45 million dollar art collection to explore , we were in heaven. We were so enthralled with Timothy's stories and info that we were almost late for our wine tasting at the Académie du Vin. We sipped wine valued from $20.00 to $120.00, and loved learning all the details.

Giddy from wine, relaxed from the spa, and inspired from the art-there was nothing left to do-but eat. So we indulged in home-baked bread and fresh pasta and lobster at one of the many restaurants on the premises. The entire meal was the perfect ending to a perfect day.

Rejuvenated, we drove home the next day after one more visit to the spa. I look forward to many more visits to Nemacolin...want to join me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a terrific weekend. It's great that you were able to enjoy a weekend away from your normal stress with a good friend. We all need to pamper ourselves on occasion. Good for you!