Thursday, May 22, 2008

Helping new grads go from intern to young professional

As a television stylist I primarily work with high profile men and women, but recently several people have given a day of shopping with me as a graduation gift. Students usually have very little to choose from in their wardrobe when it comes to professional attire. Suddenly after years of living in flip flops and jeans, these young women need to look like young professionals and not like interns. Often they panic, not knowing how to bridge the gap between looking too old and looking professional. They are usually relieved to have someone they perceive as objective, guide them in exploring clothing options. I start by having them pull together pictures of ensembles that they would like to emulate and then we discuss what those clothing items say about the individual wearing them. Few people ever stop and think about the story they tell through their appearance. It is critical, before we begin shopping, that individuals clarify what they want to project with their clothing choices.

Another challenge encountered while working with those new to wearing and purchasing professional attire, is teaching them how clothing should fit their specific body shape. Men assume that their new suit has to be tailored to fit them, but women do not realize that they should be willing to do the same. No one tells us that very few women can buy items that fit well, right off the rack. A good tailor is to be treasured just like your favorite hairstylist

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! I have sisters just graduating and I'm definitely going to refer them to you....what an awesome gift idea! I wish you had been around when I was starting out...

Anonymous said...

Wow - you hit the nail on the head! It's quite a dilemma to dress both young/attractively AND professionally. I definitely don't want to look like my mother (no offense, Mom), but I don't want to feel and look out of sync. Thanks also for pointing out that dressing for my own body is key. I tend to think that I need to dress like someone else whose look I admire, but it's important to be reminded that I need to put my own body's attributes first if I want to look right.