Sunday, May 25, 2008

My work is always confidential

When I go to informal gatherings or parties it is always predictable what will happen about 1 hour into the event. Once it "comes out" that I am a television stylist, I am slowly cornered, surrounded by curious women who want to know who my clients are and what I do to help them with their appearance. I am terribly disappointing speaking about others since I do not reveal the names of clients if they have asked me to keep our time together confidential, plus, even if they have not asked for confidentiality, (as the old saying goes) I do not tell stories out of school. I am quite sure you wouldn't want me telling someone anything about you if you were my client. Whether I am helping a client "fine tune" their appearance or completely revamping someone's image, our time together is so intimate, it must remain private. What makes me so different from other stylists (besides my expertise) is that I am a safe place to land. I see the potential in each person and I feel that it is so very profound and personal to help people evolve and reflect on the outside what they always new was there on the inside.

My work as a stylist is not just about looking younger, thinner, more memorable or more powerful. It is about the possibilities, and about looking in the mirror each day and loving what you see.

2 comments:

Dragicevic said...

This is a great point to make, Kim. Confidentiality is so crucial to feeling safe to admit that we may not know how to make ourselves look the best...and for women who are highly visible, it is even more important. You are like a secret weapon in a professional women's arsenal of tools for creating an advantage in her career!

Anonymous said...

You've made it so comfortable and easy to share my most troublesome (and yes - embarrassing) concerns about the way I dress and my overall style, Kim. I'm sure it's because you see me both as I am now as well as how I could be even better. But the point is that you see ME, not someone else. That, coupled with the assurance that you keep everything confidential, makes it easy to keep evolving into the "real me". I'm so grateful to have you as my guide.