Monday, September 10, 2007

Fashion week...do I care?

I love the act of dressing each morning. I see it as an opportunity to tell the world what I have to offer. I always consider style, drape and color when choosing what goes on my body, but in the end, clothing for me is primarily functional. The goal is to get my message across while feeling attractive and comfortable. Then fashion week comes along. Fashion week has always intrigued and frustrated me. I am fascinated by the idea that some think of clothing as an ART form. Clothing designs are stitched into ensembles that rarely resemble anything that a less than 6 foot, 110lb. women would consider wearing. Let's face it, it's a challenge to make these women look bad in anything. Soon we will see the trickle down of these designs in our very own stores and we will go shopping and say, once again, "I just can't find something that really looks good on me."

I resent the fact that what I am wearing is decided by people who seem to have forgotten average sized women. When are we going to turn the tables and let the designers know what we want? We need to give the designers and the buyers a reality check. Our collective voices can now be heard by emailing designers, manufacturers and retail stores. Let them know that we want clothing flattering to women with less than perfect bodies. We want colors that flatter our skin tones. We want stylish casual wear as well as powerful designs that scream crediblity for business-wear.

Fashion week do I care? Yes, in the end I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered who in the world, no matter how skinny, young or rich, would wear 'runway' clothes. Even toned down to off the rack style the clothes are often too outrageous. I'm with you, Kim -- I want comfortble, flattering clothes that look like a sane woman looked at herself in the mirror before leaving the house that morning. Vote with your pocketbook!